Friday, 1 January 2016

And so another year begins.


New Year's Day, blue skies and sunshine, and only the second frost of the winter. The first was back in November, when we were all fooled into thinking Winter was beginning so out with the summery bedding, on with the thicker duvet. Of course, it didn't last and by mid-December there were nights so unseasonably warm we were kicking off the heavy duvet. But a nice crisp morning, perfect for a walk in Sandringham woods. Not many people about, no doubt sleeping off last night's excesses. I suppose there were some parties, somewhere, but our neighbours aren't the party types, hunkering down in their homes and seeing in the New Year in their own, quiet way. We were asleep!!!

How do you spend this first day of the New Year I wonder? Do you have certain rituals? For many it's the time to take down the old calendars and hang the new, which is what I do, transferring birthdays for the year and medical appointments for the next couple of months. Not for me days marked with such as 'lunch out', 'meeting so-and-so for coffee', 'dinner at the pub'. These days it's definitely non-exciting/interesting stuff. But such is life, you adapt to how it turns out, and if it's not as you expected or hoped, then so be it. If it can be changed, then change it. If not, go with the flow.

As friends know, that's those who read this but never leave comments, I am not one for resolutions. I have Good Intentions, which seem less important in a way, things that it's OK not to see to fruition. Whereas resolutions put you under stress in a way, and then disappointment when you fail to keep them. I have one friend, and I'm sure it's the same for you, who after confessing to excesses over the Festive period, is determined this year to start a diet and fitness regime and stick to it. How many times have I heard that! Even said it myself in the past, but now accept that the best I can hope for is weight maintenance. She said that there were going to be no more treats when she and I chatted last week, now that's changed to treats only at the weekend! 

Anyway, my Good Intentions this year include learning to knit socks properly, ie on small circular needles as opposed to a normal pair of needles. I read Lucy at Attic 24's blog and she mentioned Winwick Mum and her book of knitting socks, which has had some excellent reviews on Amazon, so I've treated myself to that, the first book of 2016, but as anyone who knows me will tell you, it won't be the last!

I also intend reading a poem a day from 'Poems for Life', doing more sketching, and spending more time in the garden as soon as I can.

You see, nothing too strenuous or stress-inducing. And no doubt I'll think of something else I would like to do, something achievable, because that's surely the secret to having resolutions and intentions, making them achievable and realistic which means you're more likely to succeed perhaps?

Happy New Year!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good start to the year. All the best with your intentions. Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all went downhill as I spent most of the second day of the New Year in bed with a bad migraine type headache... every time I stood up I felt dizzy and sick so decided best not to stand up. Shame, as the first day of the New Year went well! Happy New Year to you also

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! We started the year very much like you with a walk along the riverbank but it was SO cold that we lasted about 10 minutes before abandoning the idea. I love your intentions, knitting socks sounds brilliant and please let us know how the book works out for you. I am looking forward to spending time in my garden again. It is very small but needs a lot of work to get it back to how it was. Sending very best wishes for 2016 to you and yours. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking isn't much fun when it's really cold,the sort of cold that hurts every bit of exposed skin. Not all that much a fan of walking anyway due to the bones problem, but definitely not in the cold! Wimp.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I think all your resolutions sound very wholesome, and achievable. I never used to make N Y resolutions, but have over the last couple of years. Last year's was not to buy any new books until I had read all my 'to read' books, which I managed reasonably well, and it did prompt me eventually have a good clear out of my bookcase and donate many paperbacks to the charity shop ( where many of them had come from in the first place!) This year my resolution is to be more organised and productive with family meals. So far, so good (but t it is only the 6 th of January..!) X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we've just had another cull of the books and donated half a dozen boxes to a local charity book sale. They've had about four hundred from us in the last 18 months, so why do the bookcases still have very few spaces?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny that about books ... ours multiply too. Even with some now just iBooks bought online, the paperback piles have refilled the bookshelves and are climbing up the wall. Staying in to avoid the heat (Melbourne) is also a time to read and cull. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, nice to 'see' a new face as it were! Bitterly cold here in Norfolk, only about one degree at the moment - 8am. Not set to be much higher daytime either for the next few days, two or three at most. Ah well, it is winter after all!

      Delete