Thursday, 16 October 2014

October's Rambles


Well, after days of heavy grey clouds like these, of rain, and wind, then more rain... when the ditches and small rivers that you find around this area are full to the brim almost... when the plants in the garden are all beginning to blacken and die back and even the seed heads of the tall grass looks a bit manky ... well, it's lovely to see a bit of this ...



blue skies appearing again. Not for long though, soon the grey engulfs the blue, the warm sun hides away, and you're left wondering should you bring the washing in or not?

The peonies have been cut back, the remains of the sweet peas and runner bean plants all taken down, chopped up and put in the composting bin. There is still some colour from marigolds, nigella, cranesbill, and the scarlet geraniums in pots aren't ready to give up flowering just yet. So maybe still a couple of weeks or so of colour, then it will quieten down until the bursts of colour from all the bulbs.

For now, though with the sun shining, it's lovely and warm, and perfect for a stroll round the estate, as one friend describes her morning walk round her tiny plot. Here are a few shots of ours, this afternoon....






Sorry, but I'm no good at this mosaic lark!


The garden is something that always gives me pleasure, no matter what the weather.

Other things that have given me pleasure this week.....

My knitting, which goes slowly, even though it's a very simple two row chevron pattern. But it's in four ply, the balls - grey and purple - never seem to get any smaller! But I have finished a crochet lap blanket for the old people's home. Something I do every couple of years or so is take a pile of lap blankets, sometimes scarves and fingerless gloves, a shawl or two maybe, all knitted or crocheted, to one of the old people's homes in the area. This one is a grey bland building, of Sixties construction I would estimate, whereas the others within a five mile radius are not purpose built, but converted out of lovely, characterful for the most part, large (and very large) private homes. So I feel a bit sorry for the folk living in this boring looking one, even though they have quite a nice garden and lovely staff. So I finished this....




sorry it's a bit blurry. I'll put this away in the cupboard, with the two shawls I've done over the summer, until such time as I have a decent amount to take, next year definitely.

My reading always gives me pleasure, and I've read some great books recently. These will appear on the next posting, all about October's reading, but one I can't recommend highly enough is 'Daughter', by Jane Shemlit. Picked up on a whim in the supermarket, as opposed to my careful choosing on Amazon et al, this book was one I couldn't put down. It had me gripped from page one, right to the very end, and is a book I know I will read again. If you come across it, give it a try.


What has definitely not pleased me this week was the old misogynist behind us in the queue at the supermarket yesterday, who in a loud voice proclaimed all the ails of the world, and this country in particular, were down to women, that amongst other things, the government had gone to pot since women were elected (Really?). He was in his seventies I should think, dressed in beige polyester from head to trainered feet. His wife, fluffed up  blonde hair and a dress two generations too young for her, simpering and laughing at him. I felt like smacking him, and the till lady looked far from pleased, her colour going from English rose pink to let me at him red. He really was offensive, thought he was so funny. I won't bother recording or repeating all the other things he said, some of which were directed at his silly wife who thought he was being kind. My other half was amazed that I had kept quiet. Normally I would have said something but to be honest, I was so fuming I really couldn't think of where to start!

So there you have my rambles for this month. Hope this finds you all well and able to enjoy some autumn sunshine wherever you are too.

Thanks for visiting, and please do leave a comment if you can.


6 comments:

  1. Edwina, your garden is so beautiful. Is that an Acer next to your bench? It has the most beautiful leaves. They are so rich and vibrant. I love Autumn, the trees glow in the sun. Your crochet is fantastic and it is so kind of you to make things for the OPH. I am sure that they bring the residents lots of warmth and comfort plus happiness with theIr beautiful design. As for mysogynists, they need a good kick in the unmentionables. Honestly! All the toxic fumes from that beige polyester must have gone to his head. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an acer. I just love the colour of it at this time of year. Sadly, since the remnants of Gonzalo hit us this last day or two, there are now no leaves on it at all.

      Delete
  2. It's been funny weather this week this afternoon has seen blue skies and sun but we have had a heck of a lot of rain. The country lanes where we walk Fizz are nice and muddy! With lots of big puddles for her to splash in! The blankets etc is a wonderful thing to do. Look forward to reading about your latest reads. I'm on my second book of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blanket is so lovely, it looks as though it will be really cosy to snuggle up with. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very blustery here yesterday, the remains of that hurricane I think. What a lovely thing to do for the OPH. I'd have been tempted to run my trolley over that trainered foot and say "I'm SO sorry, I'm just a silly woman!!" Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the Gonzalo effect the last couple of days. So many leaves now to gather and store away, but incredibly soggy they are after the heavy squalls we had.

      Delete